*This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclaimer here.Jump to Recipe
Cinnamon Roll Cupcakes
These cinnamon roll cupcakes are everything you love about a classic cinnamon roll, but way easier to make and wrapped in the perfect individualized portion! Fun fact: this is actually the first cupcake recipe I have EVER made. Definitely won’t be my last! Anyway, these are made with almond flour, filled with a brown sugar and cinnamon swirl, and topped with vanilla frosting. These cinnamon roll cupcakes with cream cheese frosting would also be amazing. Here you can find one of my favorite cream cheese frostings on my sugar cookie bars!
Growing up, cinnamon rolls were always one my favorite weekend breakfasts/treats (plus donuts and french toast). I love how they make the whole house smell like cinnamon sugar. To be honest, I am a little afraid of making my own cinnamon rolls from scratch – it just seems like there’s a lot of room for error. These cupcakes are so easy and so delicious, you won’t even need to make your own cinnamon rolls!
Each bite is packed with cinnamon sugar, and melt in your mouth goodness. I certainly recommend topping these with your favorite vanilla or cream cheese frosting (see below for recipes and recommendations), but you could also enjoy them without frosting! Cinnabon cupcakes anyone? YES PLEASE!
HOW TO MAKE (THE MOST DELICIOUS) CINNAMON ROLL CUPCAKES:
There are only a few simple steps in how to make cinnamon roll cupcakes. Basically, you need a handful of ingredients, two mixing bowls and a fork to make your gluten free cinnamon roll cupcake dreams come true!
- almond flour
- brown sugar
- grass fed butter
- milk of choice
- vanilla extract
- baking powder
- Frosting: I used Simple Mills vanilla frosting, but you could use any vanilla, cream cheese, or buttercream frosting. If you are looking to make your own, you can use my cream cheese frosting, or here are a few recipes that look great: buttercream frosting, paleo “buttercream”
What I used:
- Premium Bakeware Standard Muffin and Cupcake Pan, 12-Cup Baking Pan
- Reusable Silicone Baking Cups (12) – these are one of my favorite kitchen purchases ever! They are $8, super easy to wash and are perfect for muffins, cupcakes, mini cheesecakes and more!
- Here are some of my favorite recipes uses the reusable silicone baking cups: Blueberry Cream Cheese Muffins, Mini Turtle Cheesecakes, Blender Banana Nut Muffins, Vegan Mini Lime Cheesecakes, Pumpkin Streusel Muffins, Guinness Cupcakes with Baileys Frosting
- Almond flour is a little on the pricey side, so I like to buy mine in bulk! You can find my favorite one here. This is especially great if you use almond flour often or plan to use it again in the future. If you need any ideas, below are some of my favorite almond flour recipes!
- For frosting, I decided to make it super simple and use store bought Simple Mills frosting (made with coconut oil!)
NOTE: I have not personally tried these substitutes for this recipe and can’t guarantee they will work. I share substitutions in hopes to help those who need to make substitutions!
- If you want to make these vegan, you could try using non-dairy milk, non-dairy butter and an egg substitute of your choice. My favorite egg substitute is flax egg(s), which is 1 tbsp flaxseed meal mixed with 2 – 2 1/2 tbsp water (for 1 egg). You can also try applesauce (1/4 cup per egg and may want to add an extra 1/2 tsp baking powder) or banana (1 small ripe banana = 1 egg).
- in place of almond flour, you can try all purpose flour or gluten-free all purpose flour
- instead of brown sugar, you can use coconut sugar or cane sugar
- you could try substituting the regular butter for vegan butter or coconut oil
This recipe is so easy! First preheat the oven and add your silicone muffin liners to a 12 cup muffin pan. In a medium mixing bowl whisk together eggs and brown sugar, then mix in the remainder of the wet ingredients ( butter, milk, and vanilla extract) until smooth. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together almond flour and baking powder. Combe the wet and dry ingredients and mix until no clumps remain. Add 3 tbsp batter in each muffin cup. Add 1-2 tsp cinnamon sugar filling, then top with 1 tbsp of batter and swirl to cover. Sprinkle remaining cinnamon sugar on top. Bake for 21-23 minutes. Let cool completely, top with desired frosting of choice & enjoy!
Cinnamon Roll Cupcakes
- 2 cups almond flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk of choice
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 6 tbsp butter melted
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- 2 tsp cinnamon
Vanilla or Cream Cheese Frosting
- I used Simple Mills vanilla frosting
- * see notes in blog for homemade recipes you can use!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F & line 12 muffin slots with silicone muffin liners.
- Whisk together eggs and brown sugar, then whisk in milk, butter, and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, combine almond flour and baking powder.
- Add the dry ingredients to wet and mix until well combined.
- Add 3 tbsp batter in each muffin cup. Add 1-2 tsp cinnamon sugar filling, then top with 1 tbsp of batter and swirl to cover. Sprinkle remaining cinnamon sugar on top.
- Bake for 21-23 minutes
- Let cool completely, top with frosting of choice & enjoy!
Additional Recipes You’ll Love
I have several delicious muffins and desserts that I think you’ll also love: Cinnamon Roll Muffins, Coffee Cake Greek Yogurt Muffins, Birthday Cake Chocolate Chip Cookie Skillet (paleo & vegan), Cookie Dough Fudge Bars (paleo & vegan), Double Chocolate Cookie Skillet (paleo & vegan), Lemon Bars (gluten-free), Flourless Zucchini Brownies (paleo)
I always love knowing when you guys make (and love) my recipes – so tag me or send me a message on Instagram, or leave a reply/rating below! Also, you can find this recipe, as well as all of my others, on Pinterest (click the photo below to Pin)!