*This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclaimer here.
Chunky Monkey Muffins
Healthy Chunky Monkey Muffins that are easy to make and allow you to eat chocolate for breakfast? Yes please! They taste absolutely amazing and you most likely have the ingredients on hand already. Basically, run don’t walk to the kitchen and make these!
These muffins are made with real food ingredients like oat flour, bananas, and walnuts. They are vegan and can be made refined sugar free (depending on chocolate used). You can also remove the walnuts to make them allergy-friendly (meaning it is gluten-free, egg-free, dairy-free, and nut-free)!
I love the combination of banana, crunchy walnuts, and melty chocolate chips & I have a feeling this won’t be my last chunky monkey recipe! These chunky monkey muffins are a perfect healthy banana muffin that the whole family will love. They are only sweetened with bananas (and the chocolate chips), so they are great healthy muffins for kids too! It honestly taste like chocolate banana bread, but in perfect bite sized muffins!
HOW TO MAKE THESE OH SO TASTY & HEALTHY CHUNKY MONKEY MUFFINS:
To make these Chunky Monkey Muffins, you’ll just need a few simple ingredients, one mixing bowl, and a fork – that’s it! Super easy, right!?
- oat flour (you can make your own by blending rolled oats until flour-like)
- ripe bananas
- milk (of choice)
- coconut oil
- baking powder
- chocolate chips
What I used:
- Premium Bakeware Standard Muffin and Cupcake Pan, 12-Cup Baking Pan
- Reusable Silicone Baking Cups (12) – these are one of my favorite kitchen purchases ever! They are $8, super easy to wash and are perfect for muffins, cupcakes, mini cheesecakes and more!
- 365 by Whole Foods Market, Expeller Pressed Coconut Oil, Unrefined Virgin, 14 Fl Oz
- I love oat flour because it is inexpensive, makes great baked goods and you can easily make your own if you want to! Either buy oat flour or blend gluten-free rolled oats until flour-like! My favorite oat flour to buy is this one from Arrowhead Mills. If I am making my own, I like using Bob’s Red Mill Organic Rolled Oats
- You can use any chocolate chips you’d like. Since I don’t have any dietary restrictions, I often just buy these chocolate chips, however I also love these dairy-free chocolate chips. For sugar free chocolate chips, this is a great option!
NOTE: I have not personally tried all of these substitutes for this recipe and can’t guarantee they will work. I share substitutions in hopes to help those who need to make substitutions!
- these can easily be made vegan by using non-dairy milk and dairy-free chocolate chips
- in place of oat flour, you can try almond flour, all purpose flour or gluten-free all purpose flour
- instead of walnuts, you could use any nut or more chocolates
- you could easily use regular butter in place of the coconut oil
This recipe is so easy! First preheat the oven and add your silicone muffin liners to a 12 cup muffin pan. In a medium mixing bowl whisk together the mashed bananas, coconut oil and milk until smooth. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together oat flour and baking powder. Combine the wet and dry ingredients and mix until no clumps remain. Fold in the crushed walnuts and chocolate chips. Fill each muffin cup ~3/4 to the top. Sprinkle with additional chocolate chips and walnuts (if desired). Bake for 20-22 minutes, let cool & enjoy!
- It is very important that you use just the right amount of banana. If you use too much, these will not hold together as muffins (although they will still taste delicious – just delicious mush). If you don’t use enough, the muffins will be too dry. Depending on the size of the bananas, you will either need 2 (medium) or 3 (small). You want about 1 cup to 1 heaping cup of mashed banana.
Chunky Monkey Muffins
- 1 1/4 cup oat flour
- 3 small bananas or 2 large ripe, but not overripe * = no more than 1 heaping cup mashed banana
- 1/2 cup milk of choice
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup walnuts chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F & line a muffin pan with muffin liners
- In a mixing bowl, mash bananas thoroughly with a fork. Add in milk and coconut oil and mix until smooth. Finally, mix in oat flour and baking powder.
- Add in chocolate chips and walnuts, leaving a few to add on top (if desired). Fill 10-12 muffin slots almost to the top and sprinkle with additional chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until toothpick comes out smooth.
Additional Recipes You’ll Love
If you love the chunky monkey flavor combination like I do – you’ll also love this Chunky Monkey French Toast Mug Cake. For other healthy muffins or breakfast cookies – check out my Coffee Cake Greek Yogurt Muffins, Paleo Lemon Blueberry Muffins (can also be made vegan) & SunButter Breakfast Cookies (vegan)
I always love knowing when you guys make (and love) my recipes – so tag me or send me a message on Instagram, or leave a reply/rating below! Also, you can find this recipe, as well as all of my others, on Pinterest (click the photo below to Pin)!