Carrot Cake Roll with Cream Cheese Filling
This carrot cake roll with cream cheese filling is the absolute best recipe for Easter or any Spring celebration. Pillowy soft and perfectly spiced carrot cake with the most delicious cream cheese swirl. Plus, they are the cutest bite sized treat!
This recipe has everything you love about a traditional carrot cake with cream cheese frosting all rolled up in one perfect roll. If you can believe it, it’s also surprisingly easy and quick to make!
What You’ll Need:
To make this Carrot Cake Roll with Cream Cheese Frosting, you’ll need 10 main ingredients and a few steps!
- all purpose flour
- cane sugar
- pumpkin pie spice
- baking powder
- cream cheese
- powdered sugar
- vanilla extract
How To Make:
This recipe may seem intimidating (I was admittedly a little nervous I’d have to make this recipe several times to get it right), but it is actually really simple! Line a 10×15 jelly pan (baking sheet with sides) and preheat oven. To make the carrot cake layer, you’ll first whisk together the dry and wet ingredients in separate bowls then add them together. Then, spread the mixture evenly across baking sheet and bake for 12-14 minutes. Lay a clean dish/tea towel on the counter and carefully flip cake onto it (with the cake on the towel and the parchment paper on top). Slowly peel the parchment paper off the cake. Roll the cake up into a long log (photo below) and place on a cooling rack. Let cool completely (20-30 minutes). While cooking, make the cream cheese filling. Slowly unroll the cake. Spread filling evenly across the cake, leaving a little room around the sides. Tightly roll up the dough again, peeling the towel off as you roll. Wrap in cling wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour or freeze for about 30 minutes. Cut using a hot knife and enjoy.
- To make sure the cake rolls and doesn’t crack or break, you’ll want to roll the cake up immediately after it gets out of the oven
- If desired, you can roll up the cake in the parchment paper you baked it in, just be careful – it may be hot!
- When adding the cream cheese filling, leave some room around the edges. I didn’t and it made it a little harder to roll
- Cut using a hot knife (just run it under hot water and then dry) in order to get the perfect slices.
Carrot Cake Roll with Cream Cheese Filling
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp cornstarch or more flour
- 2 eggs + 1 egg white
- ½ cup cane sugar
- 1 cup finely grated carrots
- 1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Cream Cheese Filling:
- 8 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 4 tablespoons butter softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a 10×15 jelly roll pan (baking sheet with sides) with parchment paper. Leave a little extra parchment paper on the sides so that it is easier to lift the cake after baking
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, pumpkin pie seasoning, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate medium mixing bowl, whisk together eggs and sugar until well combined. Mix in vanilla and fresh finely grated carrots. Add in the dry mixture and mix with a rubber spatula until combined.
- Spread evenly across jelly pan and bake for 12-14 minutes.
- Lay a clean dish/tea towel on the counter and carefully flip cake onto it (with the cake on the towel and the parchment paper on top). Slowly peel the parchment paper off the cake. Roll the cake up into a long log (photo above) and place on a cooling rack. Let cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- While the cake is cooling, make the cream cheese filling. Cream together butter and cream cheese, then add in powdered sugar (1/2 cup at a time) and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth.
- Once the cake has cooled, slowly unroll it. Spread the cream cheese filling evenly across the cake, leaving a little room around the sides.
- Carefully re-roll the cake, peeling away the towel as you roll. Wrap the roll in cling wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour or freeze for about 30 minutes. Unwrap and slice using a hot knife. Serve & enjoy!
Additional Recipes You’ll Love:
I have several delicious dessert recipes you may also love: Cinnamon Roll Muffins , Cookie Dough Fudge Bars (paleo & vegan), Double Chocolate Cookie Skillet (paleo & vegan),Lemon Bars (gluten-free), Flourless Zucchini Brownies (paleo), Birthday Cake Chocolate Chip Cookie Skillet (paleo & vegan)
I always love knowing when you guys make (and love) my recipes – so tag me or send me a message on Instagram, or leave a reply/rating below! Also, you can find this recipe, as well as all of my others, on Pinterest (click the photo below to Pin)!